We all know someone (maybe it’s you) whose absolute weakness is a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie.
So, for the past 3 months, I’ve been working on mastering the macadamia nut cookie, and I think I’ve finally figured it out.
When I was little my mom taught me how to make simple and delicious chocolate chip cookies, and for as long as I can remember I’ve had that recipe memorized. But, in order to make the perfect white chocolate mac nut cookie, my recipe needed a little tweaking.
Now, 5 test runs later, I’ve created a recipe that’ll give you the biggest, softest, chewiest cookies you’ve ever made!
Yield: 12-14 Prep time: 10 minutes Bake time: 10-12 minutes
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 cup halved macadamia nuts
- 1 cup Bakers white chocolate chunks
- In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to blend the margarine until it’s smooth.
- Add brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Add white sugar and mix until combined.
- Add eggs and lightly whisk the yolks together before stirring them into the dough (adding the additional yolk makes the cookies extra chewy!)
- Add vanilla and mix in slowly until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt in together before stirring through.
- Add macadamia nuts and white chocolate chunks and mix until combined.
- Cover the dough with wax paper and set in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour (chilling the dough allows for the fat to solidify, which will reduce the amount of spreading on the pan).
- Preheat the oven to 350º F while the dough is chilling.
- Get out two large non-stick cookie sheets. Scoop the dough onto the sheets, 2″ apart, using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (I like to take my cookies out before they look completely done so that they’re extra gooey! Keep in mind too that they will continue to cook on the pan a little once you’ve taken them out of the oven.)
- As soon as you take the cookies out of the oven, press down on them with another sheet pan, or with a flat bottom jar for 10-15 seconds to trap the moisture. This step is optional, but it will give you denser, chewier cookies!
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container and enjoy for 5-7 days!